Welcome to the Percy Gardens website.
Percy Gardens is a Victorian crescent of houses situation on the sea front in Tynemouth and is a wonderful place to live. The houses overlook the North Sea, the north pier of the Tyne and Tynemouth Priory.
The crescent of houses is accessed by a private road and residents have the exclusive use of the communal gardens which are managed and maintained by a Residents’ Committee. A gardener is employed by
the committee to care for the 3.7 acres of land and lives in the Lodge situated at the south end of the gardens.
The Committee organizes a variety of community events throughout the year, many of these being held in the Garden.
Percy Gardens is now made up of 122 residences as most of the original houses are now subdivided into flats, although a few complete houses still exist. Many of the properties have retained their historical
Victorian features such as sandstone carved porticos, intricate corniced ceilings and mosaic tiled entrance halls.
For further information about the history of Percy Gardens please view the history page.
Visitors please note that parking in Percy Gardens is limited to residents and their visitors only. There is parking all around Tynemouth village and on Sea Banks just outside of Percy Gardens.
Parking and access
Parking in Percy Gardens is strictly for Residents and permitted visitors only.
Residents must display a valid parking permit at all times.
Visitors passes are issued to residents and must be displayed at all times.
Residents and visitors are respectfully asked to help other residents by ensuring cars are parked within the marked spaces and as close as possible to other cars when at the road side in order to maximize
car parking spaces.
It has been a long standing agreement within the Resident’s code that commercial vehicles, such as vans and oversize vehicles, are not permitted to be parked on the street. Spaces are available on the
back of Percy Gardens for these vehicles.
Council permit parking
Residents will have to contact the council with regard to permits for spaces on the back of Percy Gardens on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Management of Percy Gardens
Percy Gardens has a long standing history – back to 1881! –of being managed by a voluntary residents committee. The committee meets approximately 6 -8 times each year. An AGM is held in April or May each
year and details will be available in the Residents section. All owners are eligible to stand for election to the Committee at the AGM.
Gardens at Percy Gardens
Owners of Percy Gardens properties pay an annual levy to cover the upkeep of the Gardens, road, footpaths and walls and employment of any staff as well as other management fees. The Gardens are for residential
The maintenance of the Garden is overseen by a Gardening Committee who work with the gardener and contractors to keep the garden in excellent order. The garden is continually developed with new planting,
beds and seating areas within the restraints of the annual budget.
Within the garden there are various areas for leisure activity and relaxation. There is a tennis court which is for tennis only! Residents are asked to use other areas of the garden for other ball games
and activities. There is a putting green which can also be used for croquet. To the north of the putting green is a large area which can be used for multi sports and is also adjacent to one of the two
BBQ areas. Other areas for play and leisure are continually under consideration.
History of Percy Gardens
In the latter part of the 19th century Tynemouth was growing in popularity as a commuter village following the opening of the railway link to Newcastle. Seizing the opportunity the then Duke of Northumberland
laid out plans for a substantial residential housing development on his land on the north and east edge of the village.
The sweeping crescent of Percy Gardens with its grand houses, private gated road, railed communal gardens commanding magnificent views of King Edward's Bay (formerly known as Percy Bay) and Tynemouth
Priory and Castle was one of the exclusive showpieces of the development. Plots were leased to individuals who employed their own architects and built their own houses in ones, twos and sometimes in fours
in a restrained Victorian style achieving a pleasing degree of architectural harmony. Most were built in the 1870s.
The large communal garden laid out on the seaward side for the benefit of residents contained a bowling green and later a putting green and tennis courts reputedly used at one stage for the Northumberland
County Tennis Championships.
A Gardeners Lodge was built at the southern end and the first live-in gardener was appointed in 1881. Responsibility for the good order and upkeep of the road, gardens and lodge rested with the house
owners as it does to this day. The Percy Gardens Trust, comprising elected members from the house owners, and a system of annual levies was established under covenant in 1880 to meet this obligation which
remains in operation today.
The first owners were men of considerable distinction - shipowners, mining engineers, merchants, coal exporters, lawyers, medical officers and other professionals and included some well known north east
names like the Fenwicks and Swans. Many played prominent roles in local affairs and included one Mayor of the Borough 1874-75, Henry Adamson (No 16) and the Harbour Master W W C Frith 1940 (No 37). All
households employed an accommodated a number of servants. Most houses remained in the same family for many generations some for over 70 years.
In August 1884 the Gardens received a royal visitor. HRH Albert, Prince of Wales, after opening the Albert Edward Dock, North Shields disembarked from his ship on the north pier and was driven down a
much decorated and beflagged Percy Gardens on his way to Tynemouth railway station. The public were not admitted and a ‘limited number of tickets were issued to owners for distribution amongst personal
Second World War
During the Second World War one of the houses was used as a nursing home, two Anderson shelters were built in the Gardens which are still in existence and the railings surrounding the gardens were sacrificed
to the war effort never to be replaced.
Post War Percy Gardens
Post War Britain saw the demise of the type of lifestyle which had given rise to Percy Gardens. The Duke granted freehold to the owners and most of the houses were converted to flats in the 1950s and
60s – virtually trebling the number of dwellings. Priory Court Flats were built on the large plot (sites 7-13)at the southern end of the gardens which contrary to popular belief was not the result of
bombing but had for some reason remained unbuilt on from the start of the original development.
Percy Gardens today
Percy Gardens today is a thriving community of all age groups with a good community spirit. Numerous social activities for residents are held throughout the year and the Percy Gardens Trust Committee
is constantly working to maintain and restore the former splendour of the gardens.
Written by Ken Day, Photos Courtesy of North Tyneside Libraries